Monday, July 13, 2009

A Great Weekend

In celebration of Mom's chemotherapy for colon cancer coming to an end, two fantastic things happened.

One: a very talented, beautiful, dear friend (Helen) came to visit her and

Two: we had home-made ice cream.
Helen was on her way here and made a stop at my parent's house to catch up and visit with Mom. Several wonderful things happened as a result of that visit. Helen made my mom laugh so much and so hard and so deeply and I am so grateful. I haven't heard that kind of joy explode from mom in many months. I've learned that chemo takes a lot out of a person, including laughter. So, thank you, Helen, for bringing laughter with you, along with the delicious food. (I'll be going to the grocery any minute to pick up the ingredients for that yummy salad.)

Helen also brought out her flute and some pieces that she wanted Mom to try.


This was a common scene in our house in the 70s. Helen would come over and she and Mom would practice for upcoming events. Incredible music (and laughter) would be the backdrop for my afternoons of coloring and playing with my Strawberry Shortcake collection--waiting for all my brothers to get home.


Helen has gone on to accomplish amazing things as a professional flutist (you can read more about her here) and we are all so proud of her. I'm most impressed, however, with the level of respect and admiration she has always shown for my mother. And, my mom can't say Helen's name without a smile on her face and a funny story to tell. Thank you both, for such a shining example of what friendship means.

While they were playing this amazing music the other day, this was also going on:


Mom made vanilla ice cream and Helen brought these:

It was the most delicious thing I've had since that chocolate cream pie--even though Mom says she wants to try again to get the recipe just right. Sounds like a good excuse to make more ice cream to me.
I'm grateful that her treatment is over. I'm thankful for all of her wonderful friends that showed support during this battle. I hope your weekend was as perfect as ours.

No comments: